Move Sweat Love Creator and EQUINOX’s Ali Baldassare on Sticking to those New Year’s resolutions
There was no shortage of delicious, indulgent food and cocktail parties over the holiday season. Now that 2017 has arrived, we need to stick to our resolutions to get (or stay) in shape and to find time for our fitness routines when schedules start to cram. To help you have fun and feel your best, here are Ali Baldassare’s top 5 tips to help you stay on track this year:
- It doesn’t have to be all or nothing! What I mean by this, is TIME! So many of us will ditch our workout plans if we can’t dedicate at least 30-45 minutes to do it or take the class we want. Not necessary! If you can spare just 10 or 15 minutes to do something, then that’s 10 or 15 minutes where you can hit up YouTube or any fitness app on your phone for a quick at home HIIT workout, go for a 15 minute walk or run, stretch, or it can be as simple as performing a circuit of squats, pushups, and sit ups (10 reps each, for as many rounds as you can in 15 minutes.) Just make it count! It adds up in the end!
- Family Time = Workout Time! Working out can be done anywhere and with anyone. Take it upon yourself to be the ring leader and suggest your clan head outside as a family for a walk, a hike, some football in the backyard or even see if there is a local 5k to sign up for together. Use the outdoors as your gym. Doing something together and motivating each other is a great (& healthy) way to spend time with loved ones.
- One for You Two for Me! Use those gift cards to buy yourself a gift or two! I always get super excited when I get a new pair of running sneakers or even a new pair of leggings or a cute top to wear to my next Pilates class. There is no harm in buying yourself a little something that will re-ignite that excitement to go workout! There are also tons of small pieces of equipment you can buy to use at home as well. Looking for a bargain? Hit up the athletics section in your local TJ MAXX or Marshalls!
- Challenge a Friend! Doing anything with a friend is a great way to stay accountable and motivate each other. The sky is the limit on this one. Grab a buddy and decide what your goals are and how you’re going to get there. Be realistic! You don’t need to be physically with one another either. Check in via Facetime or text!
- Get Going! If you haven’t embarked on keeping your resolutions yet, use this time to make some mini pre-resolutions to get prepped for a strong start to 2017! If your goal is to start meal-prepping 2 or 3 days out of the week, then start now by buying some new food containers. Begin experimenting with some healthy recipes, see what you like, how long it will take to make, etc. Resolutions are ways of building new habits and new habits take time so start small and start now
Soon you’ll be able to train with EQUINOX close to home at Pier 4 with the opening of its newest location in the Seaport this year.